Let me share with you one of our favourite recipes and always a big hit with our guests when we host!
(serves 2 people if one of them is Magnus, 3-4 people otherwise🙈)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 courgette, sliced into half-moons (pun intended!)
3 carrots, peeled and sliced into half-moons (still riding out the pun!)
x1 400g can of black-eyed beans, drained and washed
x1 400g can of red-kidney beans, drained and washed
x1 400g can of tinned tomatoes
2 tbsps tomato purée
1 red chili pepper, finely chopped (set some aside for garnish)
1 teaspoon of chipotle chili paste (or 1 teaspoon of chipotle chili flakes)
1 tbsp of paprika
1 tbsp of ground cumin
1 veggie stock cube
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of rice
1 Avocado, sliced
Fresh coriander, chopped
Red chili pepper, chopped
If you don't like it too hot, swap chipotle paste or flakes for smoked paprika and go gentle with the chili!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can use it to empty your fridge - just mix and match whatever veggies and pulses you might have!
1. Heat a large saucepan with a dash of olive oil, add the chopped onion and let it fry on low heat
2. Once the onion softens, add chopped garlic and red chilli, fry for a couple of minutes
3. Add your spices - chipotle paste (or flakes), cumin, paprika - and fry until fragrant.
4. Prep the carrots and courgettes and add them to the pan - stir around, make sure they are well coated. Season with salt and pepper (go gentle with salt, we'll add the veggie stock in a bit!)
5. Add tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and stir it all together
6. Next, add in a stock cube with a bit of boiling water to help it dissolve. Bring to boil, then cover with lid and leave it cooking on low heat for 20-30 minutes (the longer the better)
7. If you like your beans quite mushy add them at the same time as the cube, otherwise add in for the last 5-10 minutes.
8. While the chilli simmers, cook the rice.
Ladle the chilli on a bed of rice, add the sliced avocado and a spoon of yoghurt on a side, and top with coriander and chili for garnish.
Enjoy the spiciness and smokiness! Yum!